Many Are Indoors, But Some Require Hoosier Spirit To Brave The Temperatures – And Maybe Snowflakes – Outside.
The Indianapolis Circle of Lights is lit up in all its glory, signaling that Indy is ready to celebrate the holidays with festivals of all kinds. Many are indoors, but some require that resilient Hoosier spirit to brave the temperatures – and even some snowflakes – and head outside. Here are some top picks for the holiday season.
Arts and Crafts
- Holiday Hullabaloo, December 4 – The Indianapolis Museum of Art presents Holiday Hullabaloo, its FREE evening of holiday shopping and festivities. Special pricing, complimentary gift wrapping, and refreshments make this showcase of artsy holiday spirit an Indy favorite.
- INDIEana Handicraft Exchange, December 5 – The Harrison Center for the Arts presents its Holiday INDIEana Handicraft Exchange, showcasing handmade local goods and crafts.
Theater, Music, and Dance
- IPL Yuletide Celebration, December 5 – The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra presents its 29th annual Yuletide Celebration at the Hilbert Circle Theatre. Renowned opera star Angela Brown and Broadway sensation Ben Crawford serve as co-hosts of ISO Artists-in-Residence Time for Three will also take the stage as special guests, making their first-ever IPL Yuletide Celebration appearance.
The Nutcracker, December 4-14 – A traditional holiday ballet classic, The Nutcracker presented by Butler Ballet at Clowes Hall runs from December 4-7. The Nutcracker by Indiana Ballet Conservatory performs at the Old National Center December 6, as well as the Indianapolis Museum of art December 12-14.
- Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, through December 26 – Annually, the Indiana Repertory Theatre performs the traditional holiday play A Christmas Carol through the entire season. This weekend in Zionsville, as part of the town’s “Christmas In The Village” Celebration, live on stage is a special adaptation of the Dickens’ classic as an old-time radio broadcast in which actors play multiple characters and sound effects are performed.
Children and Family Friendly
- Christmas at the Zoo, through January 4 – Bundle up and experience the magical lights of Christmas at the Zoo! Visit with Santa, see the winter animals, listen to Christmas carolers, and taste some delicious winter treats with the whole family.
- Holidays on the Prairie, through January 4 – Conner Prairie presents a massive array of holiday historically themed interactive exhibits, from a gingerbread house competition, visits with Santa, family-oriented daytime and candlelight tours of Conner Prairie, an adults-only evening of libations and hors d’oeuvres, and more.
- Jolly Days Winter Wonderland, through January 4 – The Indianapolis Children’s Museum creates the coolest winter wonderland ever with a two-story Yule Slide, Jingles the Holiday Bear, appearances from Santa Claus, “indoor ice fishing,” and much more. The Winter Wonderland is included with regular museum admission price.